This hat has been a long time in the making. It started back in the summer at the campership auction when I auctioned off 1 pair of hand knit arm warmers. For those of you unfamiliar with a campership auction the staff put up various items and services up for auction and the staff bid on them. All of the money raised goes to the campership fund that helps send kids to camp. This year it went for $56 and because it sold for so much I decided that Jess (the winner of said lot) could pick whatever knitting item she wanted. A hat is was to be!
I started knitting selbu modern on circular needles with a funny blue acrylic and some white sock yarn held double. I only had one ball of the white sock yarn so I worked the outside and in the inside string at the same time. You see where this is going.
It was TERRIBLE. I hated it. But I had to make it so I kept at it long after I should have quit. The pattern itself is fantastic and with the right yarn and needles I hope to make it one day. Might be a little while- it’s going to take some time for me to be able to look at the chart without feeling the need to curse and/or throw something.
Eventually I had the sense to rip it out and start again fresh. I picked another one of Kate Gagnon Osborn’s patterns- Opus Spicatum. I found 100% wool in white and light blue and started again.
You may have noticed that my finished object is a hat and not the beret in Kate’s pattern. I decided against going up a needle sizes after the ribbing thinking that I would just knit at a little bit looser gauge. I overlooked the fact that “looser gauge” and “starting fair isle” really don’t belong in the same sentence for me and it resulted in a hat. I like it anyways so I left it.
It’s off to it’s intended recipient- several months late mind- but at least done properly with my sanity still intact.