Modifcation Monday: Anthro Cardigan

This is easily one of my favourite knits of the year. In the spring my LYS held a special kind of knit-along: an indie dyer knit along! It gave me a perfect excuse to continue my affection for Lichen and Lace’s single ply fingering weight (which some of you may remember was also the yarn used in my Devil’s Backbone shawl). I decided to go with the Anthro cardigan by Polish designer Hanna Maciejewska.

Anthro Cardigan knit in Lichen and Lace

The biggest reason I picked this pattern was because the waist shaping method is to place a gorgeous cable in the small of the back. No increasing and decreasing along the sides – just a cable! And what a lovely cable to boot. I love the texture, and how it played with the handpainted yarn.knit cable as waist shaping

I made a few modifications to the original pattern. The most significant being that I took the contrast colour that is supposed to be knit on the inside of the cuff and bottom band and flipped it. The main body is knit in the colourway rainy day and the contrasting colour is calm waters. I liked the look so much that I used calm waters for the button band and the collar.

I also added an inch or so to the body after the waist shaping so the bottom hem sits exactly where I’d like to. This meant I had needed even more buttons than the ten or so required.

DSC_0541

I found the buttons at a local shop in the market, and the sweater requires fourteen of them. I really like the pearly-stormy look, matching right in with my sea/sky theme that is threaded through the sweater.

I made a mistake modification with the sleeves. They’re 3/4 instead of full length (on purpose, I swear!) and the cable detail on the cuff is altered to make it tighter than the original.

DSC_0550

Now I did that by eliminating plain knit rows between cable rows. Which wasn’t originally my intention, but once I did it, I liked it so much that I mimicked it on the other side to match.

I was so pleased with the final product that I treated myself to some new wool-wash from Eucalan’s jasmine-oil infused Wrapture. (They didn’t even pay me to say that or anything. I just adore it.) The yarn bloomed very nicely, making the sweater very soft and easily washable. My Lichen and Lace obsession continues! I’m sure this won’t be the last project with it.

Thanks to my lovely Mama for the pictures. Happy Knitting, friends!

 

Continue Reading

Skittle Socks

Ladies and gentlemen I have finished my skittle socks. See?

The Skittle Socks

Yarn: Kroy Sock Yarn, dyed by Cassie and I with Kool Aid and food colouring. In the colour of classic skittles of course: grape, strawberry, watermelon, orange, lemon, kiwi-lime and blue raspberry.

Pattern: Grumperina’s Jaywalker pattern which I modified to be toe up instead of cuff down. Not very eloquently  either I just threw in my own toe, heel and cuff.

These socks were over 2 years in the making. In my defense. somewhere between the acquiring the white sock yarn and these finished rainbow-y goodness I was distracted. I put the socks down and knit other things, a sweater, some mittens, an entire dress. The first one was exciting and between the zigzag-iness and the colour changes I will admit, I was quite amused. And then it was finished and I was most delighted. I took a picture of it and gleefully showed it to all my friends.

The lone sock

And then I stopped.

I always told myself that I was just taking a little break, that I would finish them up right away just one more project….just one more…

From then on the new sock was cast on but not worked on. Only when complete frustration at other projects had set in did I go back and knit a few more rounds. It was boring I thought, just the same two rows over and over. And besides, I reasoned, I already know what it should look like. And so the sock was abandoned. It was always there waiting. Waiting for me to decided that lace was too complicated to knit in front of the TV or that my thumb gusset shaping on the latest mitten was too aggravating. Very slowly the second sock grew until I came to the heel and realized that the orange was going to come mid-heel turning and not after like it’s mate.

Damn.

Rip rip rip.

It took 5 tries before I got the colours to work out. I have no one to blame but myself seeing as I dyed the yarn and I was so very imprecise with the measuring. From there I continued knitting it much as it had before. Intermittently and at a painfully slow pace.

But soon the new year came and I had just a few dozen rounds left. There was no reason not to finish them now and so I finally completely overcame my massive case of second sock syndrome. Or at least massive second sock resentment.

Now that they are finished I see why I cast them on in the first place. Those are the brightest, happiest, spring-i-est socks I could make. I love ’em. I get a kick out of them every time I see them now.  Which is weird because for so long I always was a process knitter and this project brought out the product knitter. Perhaps a little balance is a good thing. The point is they delight me and when the temperature is stubbornly below freezing this time of year, bright wool rainbow socks are pretty much pure happiness.

Continue Reading